Thursday, April 23, 2009

Big Horn River April 16-18

Was able to fish the Big Horn River in Fort Smith Montana last week. Arrived early morning Thursday after leaving my house around 1:30am. Fishing on Thursday was to say the least a bit tough for the most part. Only landed about a dozen fish through-out the day. No one fly was the ticket either. After arriving we hit the 3 mile access and fished around the Islands most of the day. Only landed about 7 fish from 10:30 till 4ish when we decided to break for snacks and warm up. After munching we hit the Afterbay area and I headed straight to the meat hole, which in years past has been a huge producer. I got into the meat hole, which I had all by myself for about a half hour before Brandon, Stefan and Bill Showed up. Right when I got into the hole, I hooked 2 nice browns right away on a little purple midge. A few more cast nothing. Changed flies to a black zebra midge and hooked 3 more fish. Then it completely shut off for me, nothing even a strike for the next hour and we decided to bag it in for the night.

Friday morning, Eric, Jason and I got down the the ramp and started floating down stream. This day was a little bit better, but not as great as years past. Not one main fly sticks out as a real producer for me. But landed about 24 fish today.

Saturday the 3 of us again floated Afterbay to Big Horn access with today being much better as a fish producing day. But again had to work for all the fish as not a single fly was big producer for me. I did pretty well out of the boat today and later holes below 3 mile.

Not much to report from this trip. It was fun, good to get out and catch some fish, but with the water temp much lower, the flows much higher and various weather fronts, the fishing was as good as previous years.

Until next time, tight lines and threads.

No comments: